Public Statement - COVID-19
Port Pirie Regional Council is mindful of community concerns regarding the Coronavirus (COVID 19) and the impact it is having on our local community.
We find ourselves in an unprecedented environment and would like to assure that the wellbeing of the community is our first priority and that we will continue to monitor and adapt to the rapidly developing and changing situation around the Coronavirus (COVID 19).
Because of the rapidly changing situation we are focussing our primary communication through our website www.pirie.sa.gov.au and Facebook page. We will continue to use radio, television and newspapers to communicate information however using our website and Facebook is a quicker way to get information out.
Please share our website and facebook information with your family and friends.
With the current advice we have available we are not proposing to change our service levels at this time however we are monitoring this on a daily basis and may decide to take action such as closing our library and limiting some Council services if the spread continues and/or as directed by State and Federal Governments.
Council has a Business Continuity Plan which contemplates a pandemic situation and identifies key services required to be provided. This Plan is continually being reviewed as circumstances evolve and advice is received by the lead agencies, being the State and Federal Government.
Due to the declaration of a Public Health Emergency in South Australia and the Federal Government’s direction tocancel non-essential gatherings the following events have been cancelled -
- Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery Exhibition, Robyn Stacey: Ray of Light – The exhibition launch scheduled for 21 March 2-4pm. Please note that the exhibition itself will still be open to the public as scheduled. (Cancelled in consultation with Country Arts SA and the Art Gallery of SA)
- Port Pirie Riverbank Precinct Community Event scheduled for March 21.
- Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) Masters Tour scheduled for 26 and 27 March. (Cancelled by Cricket Australia)
The most up to date and trusted information and alerts regarding the Coronavirus should be sourced directly from the lead agencies dealing with the Coronavirus:
- SA Health www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVID2019 - Local updates and information
- Australian Government Department of Health www.health.gov.au - National updates
Mayor Stephens is in regular communication with our local Member of Parliament The Hon Geoff Brock regarding our preparation and plans for the Coronavirus.
If unsure about what to do at any time, call the Coronavirus Information Line on 1800 020 080