Public Statement - COVID-19 Update
Port Pirie Regional Council is open for business and adapting our services given the COVID 19 requirements to continue to meet the needs of the community.
We understand the concerns regarding the Coronavirus (COVID 19) and want to assure residents that the wellbeing of the community remains our first priority. We are continuing to monitor and adapt to the developing situation.
Because of the rapidly changing situation we are still focussing our primary communication through our website www.pirie.sa.gov.au and Facebook page (Port Pirie Regional Council). Mayor Leon Stephens will be providing regular video updates through Facebook and any changes to services will be posted to Facebook and made available on our website (under the Temporary Service Changes banner).
We are aware that not everyone has internet or computer access so we will be providing information through other channels. However, we encourage residents to share our website and facebook information with your neighbours, family and friends who may not have access.
Council is following the Australian Government guidelines by suspending the following services until further notice:
- Port Pirie Aquatic & Leisure Centre (including outdoor swimming pool)
- Crystal Brook Swimming Pool
- Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery
- Crystal Brook Community Bus
- Playgrounds and skate parks
- Port Pirie Visitor Information Centre – consistent with the Federal Government direction around suspension of Local Government non-essential services. Please note, Stateliner Bus Service remains in operation and is still accessible to the public via a separate entrance.
The Port Pirie and Crystal Brook Library buildings are closed however, we are investigating ways to bring these services to you. This includes the popular children’s storytime and song sessions Baby Bounce going online as of last Thursday.
Council is keen to support the community through these challenging times. We do encourage residents to source information and alerts on the Coronavirus directly from the lead agencies:
- SA Health – www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVID2019 – Local updates and information
- Australian Government Department of Health – www.health.gov.au – National updates
- Coronavirus Information Line – 1800 020 080. Council is investigating means to support residents with rates payments throughout the COVID 19 situation. More information on this, along with customer service delivery, will be available this week.