Recipients of the Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Community Service
Port Pirie Regional Council’s Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Service was recently presented at the New Years Eve Party celebrations held at the Port Pirie Foreshore.
The Certificate of Merit is awarded to members of the community who have contributed significantly to Port Pirie and the region, who have demonstrated a history of community involvement or have performed a single action of significance.
Council would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the five deserving winners of the 2019 Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Community Service:
- Barry Hay - Barry has contributed to the Port Pirie Regional Hospital and health services in Port Pirie for the past 20 years as Chair of the Hospital Board and Presiding Member of the Health Advisory Council, volunteering many hours of his time over the years to help improve our health services. Barry has also been a successful business owner and was a board member for Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North.
- Monique Button - Monique has served as a valuable member of the Wandearah Institute for the past 20 years, holding positions such as President, Vice President and Secretary, providing leadership and service to host community events and improve facilities. Monique’s contribution to the small district of Wandearah is testament to her kind and generous nature for her community.
- Kevin Connor - Kevin was the proprietor of Meschke Funerals and was known for his thoughtful and caring treatment to the bereaved during that time. He has also served the Port Football Club as a premiership player, Hall of Fame member, Life Member, Vice President, committee member and supporter. Kevin has also provided service to the Port Pirie Golf Club and Port Pirie Bowling Club in many different roles and shows enthusiasm and a friendly attitude throughout all of his efforts.
- Sabina DeGioia - Sabina was nominated for her unwavering dedication to the Savoy Soccer Club, with over 45 years of continuous service to the club. She has been the Chairperson of the Ladies Committee since 1974 and was recently awarded with the club’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Sabina has provided leadership and service in the club’s kitchen for many years, organising catering for functions and weekly dinners. Sabina continues to volunteer her time and energy to the club along with her family who are all keen supporters.
- Meinwen Wade - Meinwen has served as a Meals on Wheels volunteer for the past 45 years, in roles such as delivery person, mains cook, sweets cook, assistant supervisor, Secretary and committee member. Meinwen was recently recognised for her amazing efforts and long service with an award presented by Governor Hieu Van Le in Adelaide.
“The Certificate of Merit was very well received by the community. The five recipients for 2019 were very humbled to receive the award, all saying they did not expect recognition for their efforts,” said Mayor Leon Stephens.
“And that’s exactly the spirit of the award, because without what these amazing people do in our community, things just wouldn’t get done.
“Thank you to each and every one of you for your selfless acts which enrich our lives. You are the backbone of our community and an inspiration to us all,” said Mayor Stephens.